Editor’s note: These numbers will continue to be updated as they are confirmed by Global News. Graphics can take up to 10 minutes to update following number changes.
As of April 5, Global News is only reporting lab-confirmed cases for British Columbia, Alberta and Manitoba, where provincial health authorities are including probable and “epidemiologically-linked” cases in their official count.
- Newly confirmed COVID-19 cases reported by the provinces have brought the national total to over 118,000 cases and more than 8,900 deaths. More than 102,700 people have since recovered — about 87 per cent of the remaining confirmed cases. More than 4.9 million people have been tested.
The chart below only includes confirmed cases, not presumptive cases. To view all presumptive cases in the country, see Health Canada’s chart here.
While coronavirus cases continue to decline in Canada, Quebec is still reporting over 100 daily cases and new deaths per day.
Data provided by the Public Health Agency of Canada shows that most cases are the result of community spread, while a little less than a quarter are the result of travelling or close contact with a traveller.
Community transmission means the disease is being passed on and creating cases that aren’t linked to travel or a known confirmed case. This spread can be difficult to track, especially when not everyone with COVID-19 may get tested and many do not show symptoms.
The number of novel coronavirus cases in Canada is expected to rise as more people are tested, Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease specialist based out of Toronto General Hospital, told Global News in a previous report.
Examining the number of deaths, more than half of the fatalities are in Quebec and the vast majority of all deaths stem from outbreaks in long-term care homes.
As the U.S-Canada border closed on March 20, new cases likely won’t be imported and will be the result of community spread, said Bogoch.
Dr. Theresa Tam, the country’s chief public health officer, called the increase of prominent community transmission of COVID-19 in Canada a “fundamental shift in our epidemiology.”
Those with milder symptoms are more likely to spread the virus in a community setting, as they may not know they have the disease, explained Bogoch. This is why social distancing is important, as you could be unintentionally passing COVID-19 on to others, he said.
“We’ve been hearing about what we need to do for weeks now. It’s been over a week. We know exactly what it is to do to avoid getting this infection. We know how to prevent ourselves from getting this infection. We know how to prevent transmission in community settings,” he said.
Looking at the share of the population, Canadians between 50 and 70 appear to be more likely to have been diagnosed with the disease and those under 19 much less likely.
But it’s important to note that we do not have age data for every case including those who are carrying the virus but are asymptomatic.
Provinces and territories test for coronavirus at very different rates. That’s something to bear in mind as we look at positive test rates: the more you look, the more you find.
- British Columbia reported 47 new lab-confirmed cases on Aug. 5. B.C.’s total lab-confirmed cases stands at 3,796 confirmed cases.
- The province’s death toll stands at 195, while 3,228 patients have recovered.
- A total of 38 additional cases are considered “epidemiologically linked,” meaning those patients developed symptoms and are close contacts of confirmed cases, but were never tested.
Provincial health officer Doctor Bonnie Henry has put restrictions on the number of people in short-term rentals across the province, after a spike in cases was linked to parties of young people.
She has also tightened restrictions on bars and restaurants following a spike in new cases of COVID-19 since late last week.
To help push the curve down again, Henry is ordering bars and restaurants to keep patrons seated and take measures to reduce line-ups, and she is also banning liquor self-service and dance floors.
- Alberta reported 56 new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 6. The province’s total now stands at 11,296 confirmed cases.
- The province also reported two new deaths, bringing its total to 205 fatalities. A total of 9,984 people have recovered from the virus.
Alberta’s chief medical officer of health is standing by the pace of the province’s relaunch and says for now, there are no plans to again close sectors of the economy that have been reopened.
“We are not at a place where we would be thinking about going backwards at this time,” Dr. Deena Hinshaw told reporters at a news conference in Edmonton on July 27.
The province has been in Stage 2 of its relaunch since June 12 but has seen an uptick in confirmed COVID-19 cases this month.
“Health is about more than the avoidance of COVID-19,” Hinshaw said, explaining that when virtually the entire economy was shut down in the spring, there were detrimental impacts on people’s mental health, much of that brought on by unemployment. “We need to be able to balance these things. … I believe that we can move forward successfully.”
- Saskatchewan reported 11 new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 6 The province’s total stands at 1,387 confirmed cases.
- The province has now seen 19 deaths from the virus, yet a total of 1,164 cases have recovered.
Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe is encouraging people to wear masks when they can’t physically distance, but is stopping short of making them mandatory.
Making it a rule for people to wear masks indoors is a conversation happening elsewhere in Canada as some jurisdictions bring in new guidelines.
Moe says no decision has been made as of yet, but province-wide mask use could become a reality in Saskatchewan.
The premier also said the recent spike in cases, largely linked to Hutterite colonies, is not cause for alarm and businesses currently operating won’t need to close down again.
- Manitoba reported 30 new cases on Aug. 6 for a total of 474
- Eight in the province have died of the virus.
- A total of 342 people have recovered from the virus in Manitoba.
The Manitoba government announced Thursday that students would be returning to class in September.
Under the plan, classroom learning will be full-time for students in kindergarten through Grade 8 and for special-needs students in all grades, with five days of instruction per week.
The province says remote learning may be required for students in Grades 9-12, depending on whether or not their high schools are able to implement necessary public health measures including physical distancing.
- Ontario reported 95 new cases on Aug. 6. The province reported one new death
- The province has seen 39,809 confirmed cases and 2,783 deaths from the virus, although 35,906 individuals have recovered.
The province announced its reopening plan for schools on Thursday. Elementary students will be in the classroom five days a week while most secondary students will be in at least 50 per cent of the time.
- Quebec announced 133 new cases of the virus on Aug. 6. There no new deaths.
- There have been 60,133 total cases in the province, though 50,866 people have now recovered. The death toll stands at 5,687.
Quebec authorities said Monday the COVID-19 pandemic in the province remains largely under control, but described what they said was a worrying increase of infections among teens and young adults.
A significant percentage of new daily cases in Quebec involve people between the ages of 15-34, who are becoming infected at private gatherings, Deputy premier Genevieve Guilbault told a news conference.
“They are not invincible,” Guilbault said, referring to the “worrying spike in contagion” among Quebec youth. “That’s why we’re asking them to mobilize themselves and their friends … to make sure they respect rules from public health and influence people around them too.”
Dr. Richard Masse of the province’s public heath department told reporters Monday: “Right now, the majority of cases we have are young people between 15 and 34 years old.”
Monday also saw the end of the grace period for people to comply with a province-wide mandatory mask order on public transit.
- New Brunswick announced two new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 6. There have been 176 cases in total, 168 of whom have since recovered.
- The province has seen two deaths from the virus.
- New Brunswick joined the Atlantic travel bubble on July 3, where residents of the eastern provinces will be able to travel between them without isolating for 14 days.
New Brunswick Premier Blaine Higgs says his province is hoping to create a “mini bubble” with Quebec by Aug. 1.
The bubble would allow residents who live near the Quebec-New Brunswick border to travel back and forth between the provinces without having to self-isolate for 14 days, Higgs told reporters Tuesday. Higgs said the agreement would only allow for day trips.
Higgs said Quebec visitors would first need to register online and would be screened at the border. He said there is a strong sense of community between Quebecers and the New Brunswick cities of Campbellton and Edmundston.
“This will be controlled,” the premier said. “It will be isolated in the region and we do rely on the integrity of individuals not to bring (COVID-19) across the border.”
Quebecers who live by the New Brunswick border would not be able to travel to other provinces in Atlantic Canada without self-isolating for two weeks. The agreement, Higgs said, doesn’t open up the rest of Quebec to New Brunswickers, either.
- Nova Scotia announced no new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 6.
- The total number of cases in the province is 1,071, with 64 deaths and 1,005 recoveries.
- Nova Scotia joined the Atlantic travel bubble on July 3, where residents of the eastern provinces will be able to travel between them without isolating for 14 days.
Nova Scotia is making mask-wearing mandatory in most indoor public places beginning July 31 — even for performers singing at concerts.
Premier Stephen McNeil and Dr. Robert Strang, chief medical officer of health, said the measure is necessary to minimize any potential second wave of COVID-19.
The indoor places where masks will be mandatory include retail businesses, shopping centres, hair salons, places of worship, sports facilities, elevators, hallways, and common areas of offices.
Masks will also be required in order to enter and be seated in restaurants and bars, as well as on public transit, airports and public spaces on university and college campuses.
- P.E.I. had no new cases to report in its most recent update on Aug. 4. The provincial total stands at 36, all of whom have now recovered.
- No deaths have been reported.
- P.E.I. joined the Atlantic travel bubble on July 3, where residents of the eastern provinces will be able to travel between them without isolating for 14 days.
New clusters of cases on the Island reported in the last week are connected to a Charlottetown senior’s residence where a worker tested positive, as well as a traveller who came into contact with a person from the United States.
Chief public health officer Dr. Heather Morrison says the health system was challenged but the response was effective in limiting recent outbreaks.
She adds the clusters are a warning and a reminder for people to keep their circle of contacts small and to wear a mask in public places.
Prince Edward Island Premier Dennis King said Tuesday other provinces may choose to expand the Atlantic bubble, which he said is their jurisdictional right. “But P.E.I. for the meantime will maintain the status quo,” he said.
- Newfoundland and Labrador reported no new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 5.
- The province has seen 266 confirmed cases and three deaths, while 263 cases have recovered.
- Newfoundland and Labrador joined the Atlantic travel bubble on July 3, where residents of the eastern provinces will be able to travel between them without isolating for 14 days.
Newfoundland and Labrador’s premier had floated the idea of lifting restrictions for other Canadians by July 17, but Dwight Ball now says that date was merely a rough estimate of the earliest possible time the bubble could open.
“Right now we’re just going to continue to monitor this,” Ball said during a COVID-19 news conference on July 15. “We’re not anxious to get there right now.”
Newfoundland and Labrador has a strict ban on entry for non-residents of the Atlantic provinces, a measure that is being challenged by two lawsuits. Ball said 9,900 exemptions to the travel ban have been granted to people in special circumstances.
Dr. Janice Fitzgerald, Newfoundland and Labrador’s chief medical officer of health, asked people to be respectful of the local residents and communities during their travels throughout the region.
- No cases were reported for the Yukon in their most recent update on Aug. 5, keeping the territory’s total at 14.
- No deaths have been reported, and 11 cases have recovered.
- More than 1,700 people in the territory have been tested.
Travel restrictions were lifted between Yukon and B.C. on July 1 under the second phase of the territory’s pandemic restart plan. Travellers between the province and territory are no longer required to self-isolate for 14 days.
Residents of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut are also allowed to enter Yukon without quarantining, as long as they travel directly from one of the territories or through B.C.
The territory said bars with an approved health and safety plan could reopen at half capacity under certain other restrictions starting June 19.
Two households of up to 10 people in total are currently able to interact with each other as part of a “household bubble.”
- No new cases have been reported in the Northwest Territories for over two months. As of Aug. 5, only five cases have been confirmed.
- All five cases have long since recovered, and 3,364 people have been tested.
The Northwest Territories announced on May 12 a three-phase reopening plan.
The plan includes more gatherings and the possible reopening of some schools and businesses. However, the territory’s borders remain closed indefinitely to non-residents and non-essential workers.
There are several requirements that must be met before any measures are relaxed: there must be no evidence of community spread; travel entry points in the territory are strong and secure; risks are reduced from workers coming into the territory; and expanded community testing is available.
- Nunavut remains the only Canadian jurisdiction free of COVID-19 as of the province’s most recent update on Aug. 4
- Over 1,700 people have been tested to date.
- Three presumptive cases have come back as negative since early July, while a reported case in April turned out to be a false positive.
Outdoor gatherings of up to 50 people are permitted while indoor gatherings are limited to 10 people. Territorial parks are being reopened for outdoor activities only and municipal playgrounds will be reopened, the government of Nunavut said in a statement on June 29.
Gyms and pools are available for solo workouts and lap swims.
Dental, physiotherapy, massage and chiropractic clinics, as well as offices and stores can open with appropriate safety measures.
Individuals may visit galleries, museums and libraries, and daycares are open.
Questions about COVID-19? Here are some things you need to know:
Health officials caution against all international travel. Returning travellers are legally obligated to self-isolate for 14 days, beginning March 26, in case they develop symptoms and to prevent spreading the virus to others. Some provinces and territories have also implemented additional recommendations or enforcement measures to ensure those returning to the area self-isolate.
Symptoms can include fever, cough and difficulty breathing — very similar to a cold or flu. Some people can develop a more severe illness. People most at risk of this include older adults and people with severe chronic medical conditions like heart, lung or kidney disease. If you develop symptoms, contact public health authorities.
To prevent the virus from spreading, experts recommend frequent handwashing and coughing into your sleeve. They also recommend minimizing contact with others, staying home as much as possible and maintaining a distance of two metres from other people if you go out.
For full COVID-19 coverage from Global News, click here.
—With files from Sean Boynton, Kerri Breen, Graeme Benjamin, Brittany Henriques, Kalina Laframboise, Alessia Simona Maratta, Shane Gibson, Aya Al-Hakim, and Hannah Jackson, Shane Gibson, Gabby Rodrigues, Global News and the Canadian Press
© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.