Accused in Quebec City mosque shooting pleads guilty

WATCH ABOVE: A representative for the victims of the deadly Quebec City mosque shooting said his clients "accept positively" the guilty plea of gunman Alexandre Bissonnette on six charges of first-degree murder and six of attempted murder.

The accused in the Quebec City mosque shooting has changed his plea to guilty as pre-trial motions resumed in a Quebec City courtroom on Wednesday.

READ MORE: Quebec City mosque attack ‘inexcusable,’ ‘totally inexplicable’ say parents of accused shooter

He pleaded guilty to six counts of first-degree murder and six counts of attempted murder using a restricted firearm — five counts for the injured and one for the 35 people who were at the mosque the night of the shooting but were not injured.

Bissonnette originally pleaded not guilty to all 12 charges on Monday morning, but changed his plea that afternoon.

“I’ve thought about this a long time. In my heart, this is the decision I’ve made,” Bissonnette told the judge Monday after requesting his plea be changed to guilty.

He was then ordered to undergo a court-mandated psychiatric evaluation.

 

READ MORE: Lawyers for Quebec City mosque shooting suspect oppose release of warrants

A psychologist who had already met with Bissonnette six times went to meet him for a seventh time Monday night.

READ MORE: Muslims at home in Quebec: Philippe Couillard on mosque shooting a year later

The psychologist then reviewed recordings of the proceedings earlier that day and told the judge that Bissonnette was able to stand trial, he understood the consequences of his decision, wasn’t under pressure or on any drugs that would cloud his judgement; he is taking Effexor.

He explained the decision was taken after reflection.

Superior Court Justice Francois Huot agreed Wednesday morning to accept the 12 guilty pleas.

READ MORE: Accused in Quebec City mosque shooting to go straight to trial: Crown

Alexandre Bissonnette, 28, was arrested after a gunman stormed into the Centre Culturel Islamique de Québec during evening prayers on Jan. 29, 2017.

Six men were killed in the attack and 19 other people were injured — five of whom suffered serious injuries.

READ MORE: Quebec City mosque shooting victim ‘optimistic’ 1 year after tragedy

Lawyers for the accused were expected to file a series of motions ahead of the trial, which was set to begin the first week of April with jury selection.

A publication ban had been in place since Monday, but was lifted.

Court will resume April 10 to discuss a date for sentencing.

WATCH BELOW: Deadly shooting in Quebec City

© 2018 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories