Suspect charged with attempted murder in connection with Pickering shooting

Durham Regional Police say a suspect has been charged with attempted murder in connection with a shooting in Pickering last year.

Police said that on Sept. 25, officers went to a home in the area of Whites Road and Sheppard Avenue for reports of a shooting and found a male victim with gunshot wounds.

Read more:
Man in life-threatening condition after shooting outside Pickering home: police

Officers said that after a 10-month investigation, a suspect was arrested on Monday and charged with numerous offences.

Toronto resident Colin Olafemi, 32, has been charged with attempted murder, aggravated assault, firearms offences and possessing stolen property.

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact police at 1-888-579-1520 ext. 2565/2526 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Almost 650K Quebecers have jumped on COVID-19 vaccine lottery bandwagon

Quebecers are showing enthusiasm for the province’s Loto-Québec COVID-19 vaccine lottery with 644,029 people registering since Sunday, the Health Ministry said in a statement Tuesday.

Registration got off to a rocky start on Sunday, with the site experiencing technical difficulties leaving some unable to register. By 8 a.m. the next day, however, more than 360,000 people had signed up.

Read more:
More than 360,000 people registered for Quebec’s vaccination lottery in first 24 hours

Officials said Monday, the Loto-Québec website is seeing 20 times its usual traffic.

Any Quebecer who has received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine can participate in the lottery.

There will be four draws worth $150,000 each, held every Friday throughout the month of August. A grand prize of $1 million will be decided on Sept. 18 for those who are fully vaccinated.

Children aged 12-17 will have their own lottery with prizes ranging from $10,000 to $20,000 in school bursaries.

When the government first announced its plans for a lottery earlier this month, it said it hoped the initiative would encourage more people to roll up their sleeves and get a shot.

Read more:
Technical difficulties on first day to register in Quebec vaccination lottery

The province is aiming to have 75 per cent of its eligible population fully immunized against COVID-19 by the end of August.

To date, Quebec’s Institut Nationale de Santé Publique says that 63.4 per cent of those over the age of 12 are adequately vaccinated.

— with files from Global News’ Kalina Laframboise and Alessia Maratta

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Body found in burned vehicle in Langley, B.C. is man connected to gang conflict: police

The body found inside a burned vehicle in Langley, B.C. last week has now been identified.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team said Tuesday the victim is 36-year-old Christopher Roy, from Vancouver.

“IHIT investigators are able to confirm that Christopher Roy was known to police, had a criminal record, and was connected to the current Lower Mainland gang conflict. This is believed to be a targeted incident,” IHIT said in a release.

Police say they responded to a report of a vehicle fire in the area of 197th Street and 82nd Ave. around 7 p.m. on July 21.

Mounties say once the flames were extinguished a body was discovered inside of a burned red Ford f-150 pickup truck with body-kit modifications.

Read more:
Homicide investigators called to Langley after body found inside a burned pickup

IHIT said its investigators are releasing Roy’s name and details to further the investigation. The distinct red Ford F-150 is also still of interest.

“There are associates of Mr. Roy who knew of his activities prior to his death,” Sgt. David Lee of IHIT said in a release. “We ask for those people to come forward.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact IHIT by phone at 1-877-551-4448 (IHIT) or by email at ihitinfo@rcmp-grc.gc.ca.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Man found dead in Campbellton; New Brunswick RCMP investigating as 'suspicious'

The New Brunswick RCMP is investigating a “suspicious death” after the body of a 38-year old man was found in Campbellton.

RCMP said in a news release they found the body lying on the ground next to a home on Tingley Crescent Tuesday morning.

“The identity of the man is not being released at this time as part of the investigation,” police said.

READ MORE: RCMP investigating suspicious death in Pont-Landry, N.B.

That same morning, at around 7:50 a.m., police found a second man in the parking lot of Sugarloaf Senior High School.

Police said the 48-year-old man was taken into custody, however, the RCMP is still trying to figure out whether the man was involved in the suspicious death incident.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Judge certifies class-action lawsuit against Guelph dental clinic

An Ontario judge has certified a class-action lawsuit against a Guelph dental practice.

The lawsuit stems from incidents that allegedly occurred at Guelph Dental Associates between Jan. 21, 2015, and June 21, 2017.

Read more:
Ontario family warns others — Their regular dental visit resulted in HIV tests

In 2017, the practice, which operated under the name Growing Smiles), was forced to temporarily close by Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph (WDG) Public Health after it was discovered that dental instruments may not have been sterilized properly.

WDG Public Health then issued letters to 3,600 patients of the clinic, suggesting that they get tested for hepatitis B, C and HIV due to the sterilization concerns.

A spokesperson for WDG Public Health confirmed to Global News that there have never been any actual infections connected to the dental clinic.

The dental clinic would reopen later that year after getting approval from WDG Public Health but has since been shuttered.

Read more:
Patients of Guelph, Ont., dental clinic advised to be tested for hepatitis, HIV

 

In his ruling from July 19, Justice Paul Perell of the Ontario Superior Court found that “the Plaintiffs move for certification of the action as a class proceeding for settlement purposes” and said he was satisfied the requirements for certification were met.

The defendants in the case are Dr. Meikle Dentistry Professional Corp., Dr. Katherine Zettle, Dr. Kanisha Campbell, Dr. Ladan Mansouri and Dr. Andrew Meikle.

Global News has reached out to the lawyers for both parties for comment.

— with files from Global News’ Andrew Russell and The Canadian Press

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Driver killed after pickup truck rolls over off Highway 417 in Ottawa: OPP

Provincial police in Ottawa closed off the eastbound lanes of Highway 417 on Tuesday afternoon after a fatal single-vehicle crash near Carp Road.

Ottawa OPP officers responded to the collision at 12:49 p.m.

Police said a pickup truck appears to have left the roadway, struck a guard rail and rolled over.

Read more:
30-year-old man charged after allegedly stealing, crashing Hydro Ottawa van

A 59-year-old woman, the driver and lone occupant of the vehicle, was transported to hospital where she was pronounced dead, OPP said.

The deceased has not yet been identified while police inform her next of kin.

Eastbound lanes in the area will be closed for “several hours,” OPP said. A traffic detour is currently in place.

OPP collision investigators will probe the cause of the crash. Any witnesses are asked to call 613-270-9171.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Human Rights Watch accuses Israel, Palestinian militants of war crimes in May conflict

Human Rights Watch on Tuesday accused the Israeli military of carrying out attacks that “apparently amount to war crimes” during an 11-day war in May against the Hamas militant group.

The international human rights organization issued its conclusions after investigating three Israeli airstrikes that it said killed 62 Palestinian civilians. It said “there were no evident military targets in the vicinity” of the attacks.

Read more:
War between Israel, Hamas shines spotlight on traumatized Gazan children

The report also accused Palestinian militants of apparent war crimes by launching over 4,000 unguided rockets and mortars at Israeli population centers. Such attacks, it said, violate “the prohibition against deliberate or indiscriminate attacks against civilians.”

The report, however, focused on Israeli actions during the fighting, and the group said it would issue a separate report on the actions of Hamas and other Palestinian militant groups in August.

“Israeli forces carried out attacks in Gaza in May that devastated entire families without any apparent military target nearby,” said Gerry Simpson, associate crisis and conflict director at HRW.

He said Israel’s “consistent unwillingness to seriously investigate alleged war crimes,” coupled with Palestinian rocket fire at Israeli civilian areas, underscored the importance of an ongoing investigation into both sides by the International Criminal Court, or ICC.

The Israeli military has repeatedly said its attacks were aimed at military targets in Gaza. It says it takes numerous precautions to avoid harming civilians and blames Hamas for civilian casualties by launching rocket attacks and other military operations inside residential areas.

The war erupted on May 10 after Hamas fired a barrage of rockets toward Jerusalem in support of Palestinian protests against Israel’s heavy-handed policing of the Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, built on a contested site sacred to Jews and Muslims, and the threatened eviction of dozens of Palestinian families by Jewish settlers in a nearby neighbourhood. During the fighting, Hamas fired over 4,000 rockets and mortars toward Israel, while Israel has said it struck over 1,000 targets it says were linked to Gaza militants.

In all, some 254 people were killed in Gaza, including at least 67 children and 39 women, according to the Gaza Health Ministry. Hamas has acknowledged the deaths of 80 militants, while Israel has claimed the number is much higher. Twelve civilians, including two children, were killed in Israel, along with one soldier.

The HRW report looked into Israeli airstrikes. The most serious, on May 16, involved a series of strikes on Al-Wahda Street, a central thoroughfare in downtown Gaza City. The airstrikes destroyed three apartment buildings and killed a total of 44 civilians, HRW said, including 18 children and 14 women. Twenty-two of the dead were members of a single family, the al-Kawlaks.

Read more:
Israel must stop all settlement activities to prevent more Palestinian conflict: Garneau

Israel has said the attacks were aimed at tunnels used by Hamas militants in the area and that the damage to the homes was unintentional.

In its investigation, HRW concluded that Israel had used U.S.-made GBU-31 precision-guided bombs, and that Israel had not warned any of the residents to evacuate the area ahead of time. It also found no evidence of military targets in the area.

“An attack that is not directed at a specific military objective is unlawful,” it wrote.

The investigation also looked at a May 10 explosion that killed eight people, including six children, near the northern Gaza town of Beit Hanoun. It said the two adults were civilians.

In a statement Tuesday, the Israeli military said the casualties were caused by errant rocket fire launched by militant groups, not Israeli airstrikes. It released aerial photos of what it said was the launch site, some 7.5 kilometers (four miles) away, and the landing area.

“This incident demonstrates the blatant disregard for civilian life on the part of terror organizations in the Gaza Strip,” it said.

But based on an analysis of munition remnants and witness accounts, HRW said evidence indicated the weapon had been “a type of guided missile.”

“Human Rights Watch found no evidence of a military target at or near the site of the strike,” it said.

The New York-based group said that Israel refused to allow its investigators to enter Gaza. Instead, it said it relied on a field researcher based in Gaza, along with satellite images, expert reviews of photos of munitions fragments and interviews conducted by video and telephone.

Read more:
Israel launches airstrikes in Gaza Strip as conflict with Hamas erupts once again

The third attack HRW investigated occurred on May 15, in which an Israeli airstrike destroyed a three-story building in Gaza’s Shati refugee camp. The strike killed 10 people, including two women and eight children.

HRW investigators determined the building was hit by a U.S.-made guided missile. It said Israel has said that senior Hamas officials were hiding in the building. But the group said no evidence of a military target at or near the site and called for an investigation into whether there was a legitimate military objective and “all feasible precautions” were taken to avoid civilian casualties.

The May conflict was the fourth war between Israel and Hamas since the Islamic militant group, which opposes Israel’s existence, seized control of Gaza in 2007. Human Rights Watch, other rights groups and U.N. officials have accused both sides of committing war crimes in all of the conflicts.

Early this year, HRW accused Israel of being guilty of international crimes of apartheid and persecution because of discriminatory polices toward Palestinians, both inside Israel as well as in the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip. Israel rejected the accusations.

In Tuesday’s report, it called on the United States to condition security assistance to Israel on it taking “concrete and verifiable actions” to comply with international human rights law and to investigate past abuses.

It also called on the ICC to include the recent Gaza war in its ongoing investigation into possible war crimes by Israel and Palestinian militant groups. Israel does not recognize the court’s jurisdiction and says it is capable of investigating any potential wrongdoing by its army and that the ICC probe is unfair and politically motivated.

© 2021 The Canadian Press

3 new COVID-19 cases in Ottawa, no deaths

COVID-19 levels in Ottawa are holding steady so far this week, according to the local public health unit.

Ottawa Public Health reported three new COVID-19 cases and no new deaths related to the virus on Tuesday. That’s down from the seven new cases reported on Monday.

The incidence rate for new infections stands at 3.9 cases per 100,000 Ottawa residents in the past week.

The number of active COVID-19 cases in the city held steady at 42 in the latest report.

There remains one person in hospital locally with COVID-19, according to OPH.

Read more:
Ford supports rapid COVID-19 testing regime for unvaccinated health workers, won’t force policy on hospitals

There are no active COVID-19 outbreaks in the city as of Tuesday.

The latest vaccination update showed that 70 per cent of adults aged 18 and older in Ottawa had received both doses of the COVID-19 vaccine as of Monday.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Man charged with assault after 2 women taken to hospital with injuries in Barrie, Ont.

A man has been charged with numerous offences after two women were taken to the hospital with serious injuries on Monday night, a Barrie police spokesperson confirmed.

Just before 11 p.m., officers were called to the area of Steel and Johnson streets for an assault that was in progress, police spokesperson Jennett Mays said Tuesday.

Read more:
11 pounds of meth seized following traffic stop in Barrie, Ont.

According to Mays, a 30-year-old Hamilton woman and a 26-year-old Barrie woman were sent to the hospital. A 31-year-old Barrie man was arrested.

The man was charged with two counts of aggravated assault, mischief under $5,000, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, and breaking and entering, Mays confirmed.

She said the suspect is known to the victims and that there aren’t any other suspects.

The accused was held for a bail hearing.

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Businesses damaged in south Calgary commercial building fire

One person was taken to hospital following a fire at a south Calgary commercial building Tuesday.

Just after 9 a.m., multiple 911 calls came in reporting heavy smoke and flames coming from the first floor of a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street S.W.

When fire crews arrived, they began an aggressive offensive attack and quickly brought the fire under control, said Innes Fraser, Calgary Fire Department battalion chief.

Two businesses were affected by the blaze, one of which will not be able to return to the building, Fraser said.

Smoke had to be ventilated out of the rest of the building.

Read more:
Tribute to Edmonton firefighters vandalized, fears bronze plaques may be sold for scrap

One person was inside one of the businesses when the fire broke out. They were able to get out on their own but were then taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, Fraser said.

There were two cats in the building at the time, one of which was found dead. The search continues for the second cat.

A massage business and karaoke rental business appeared to be affected by the blaze.

A fire investigator was at the scene Tuesday morning to determine how the fire started.

The cost of the damages is not yet known.

Calgary firefighters work to battle a blaze at a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street SW Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Calgary firefighters work to battle a blaze at a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street SW Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Tom Reynolds, Global News
Calgary firefighters work to battle a blaze at a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street S.W. Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Calgary firefighters work to battle a blaze at a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street S.W. Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Tom Reynolds, Global News
Calgary firefighters work to battle a blaze at a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street SW Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Calgary firefighters work to battle a blaze at a commercial building in the 5700 block of 3 Street SW Tuesday, July 27, 2021.

Tom Reynolds, Global News

© 2021 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories